Design and Analysis of Quantum Dot Based Avalanche Photodiode with Intersubband Multiplication
This article presents an avalanche photodiode with quantum dot layers in its active region which operates at 10µm. Performance of this structure is based on intersubband impact ionization phenomenon in quantum dots. It requires lower energy threshold for the onset of avalanche phenomenon, hence it can work in lower operating voltages than bulks. In this paper, by presenting a theoretical approach for intersubband transition rate and electron-electron interaction the photo-generated current was modeled and consequently the responsivity can be calculated. Results show that peak responsivity at a voltage of 14V is obtained about 1.9 A/W. Also the dark current is modeled and calculated at different temperatures and applied voltages.
2) A., Rogalski. " Infrared detectors: status and trends" prog. Quant.Elect., Vol. 27, pp. 59-210, 2003.
3) A. M. Barnett, J. E. Lees, D. J. Bassford, J. S. Ng, C. H. Tan, R. B Gomez. " Modeling results of avalanche multiplication in AlGaAs soft X-rat APDs", Nucl.Instr. and meth. A 626-627(2011) 25-30.
4) T., Nakata, I., Watanabe, K., Makita, and T., Torikai, “InAlAs avalanche photodiodes with very thin multiplicationlayer of 0.1 _m for high-speed and low-voltage- operation optical receiver,” Electron.Lett.36(21), pp. 1807–1808 2000.
5) M., Zavvari, V., Ahmadi, A., Mir and E., Darabi," Quantum dot infrared photodetector enhanced by avalanche multiplication" electronics letters, Vol. 48, NO. 10 2012.
6) J. C., Campbell, A. Madhuka, " Quantum – dot infrared photodetectors" J. IEEE., Vol. 95, No. 9, September 2007.
7) B., Kochman, A. D., Stiff-Roberts, S., Chakrabarti, J. D., Philiphs, S., Krishna, J., Singh and P. Battacharya, " Absorption, Carrier Lifetime, and Gain in InAs/GaAs Quantum Dot Infrared Photodetectors", J. IEEE, Vol. 39, No. 3, March 2003.
8) B.K., Ridley, " Quantum Process in Semiconductors ". Oxford, U. K: Clarendon, Third Edition,15 July 1993.
9) L. D., Landau , E. M., Lifshitz," Quantum Mechanics-Non-Relativistic ", Theory, 3rd ed.Pergamon, Elmsford, New York, 1997.
10) X., Su, S., Chakrabarti, P., Bhattacharya, G., Ariyawansa, and. G. U., Perera, " A Resonant Tunneling Quantum Dot Infrared Photodetector" IEEE. J. Quant. Elect, Vol. 41, NO. 7, pp. 974-979, 2005.
11) K., Sugihara, E., Yagyu, and Y., Tokuda, " Numerical Analysis of Single photon Detection Avalanche Operated in the Geiger mode" J. Appl. Phys, Vol. 99, 124502 (2006).