Comparison of Smith Predictor, Sliding Mode, Sequential Loop Closing and Robust PID Controller for Power Plant Boiler
Boiler is one of the most important components of steam power plants responsible for producing the steam needed for the turbine. Boiler is a complex multi-input multi-output time delay system. The purpose of boiler control is to maintain its output at a certain optimum level despite its sensitivities. To control the boiler needs to be modelled and identified. The modelling used in this paper is considering inputs including fuel flow rate, air flow rate, feed water flow rate and three outputs including steam pressure, oxygen gas flow rate and temperature. Various controllers are designed for the boiler, each with its shortcomings and advantages. In this paper, linear, nonlinear, robust and multivariate control methods are used and finally they are compared. PID controller is designed with the purpose of eliminating noise effects and adjustment point tracking, nonlinear sliding mode controller, Smith predictor control, Sequential Loop Closing (SLC) method with studying interaction effect. Simulations in MATLAB and the effectiveness of the proposed controller have been shown.
2. C.B. Schrader and M.K. Sain, “The role of zeros in the performance of multiinput, multioutput feedback systems”, IEEE Transactions on Education, Vol. 33, Issue. 3, pp.244-257, 1990.
3. S. Majhi, D. P. Atherton, “Modified Smith predictor and controller for processes with time delay”, Control Theory and Applications, Vol.146 , Issue. 5 , pp. 359 – 366, 1999.
4. C. Foias, H. Ozbay, A. Tannenbaum, “Robust control of infinite dimensional systems: frequency domain methods”, Lecture Notes in Control Information Science, Springer, London, 1996.
5. K. Gu, V.L. Kharitonov, J. Chen, “Stability of Time-Delay Systems”, Springer, Berlin, 2003.
6. K. Gu, S.I. Niculescu, “Survey on recent results in the stability and control of time-delays systems”, Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, Vol. 125, Issue. 2, pp.158-165, 2003.
7. T. Hagglund, “An industrial dead-time compensating pi controller”, Control Engineering Practice, Vol.4, Issue.6, pp. 749–756, 1996.
8. A. Ingimundarson, T. Hagglund, “Performance comparison between PID and dead-time compensating controllers”, Journal of Process Control, Vol. 12, Issue.8, pp. 887–895, 2002.
1.1. 9. K. J. Astrom, R. D. Bell, “Simple drum-boiler models”. IFAC international symposium on power systems, Vol. 21, Issue. 11, pp.123-127 1988.
10. P. Garcıa, P. Albertos, T. Hagglund, “Control of unstable non-minimum-phase delayed systems”, Journal of Process Control, Vol.16, Issue.10, pp. 1099–1111, 2006.
11. P. A. Dharmadhikari, S.Sankeshwari, “Comparison of Smith predictor, Sliding Mode and PID Controller For Steam Pressure in Coal-Fired Power Plant Boiler”, IOSR Journal of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Vol.11, Issue. 3, pp. 60-64, 2016.
12. S. Liu, S. Zhao, Y. Wang, “Smooth Sliding Mode Control and Its Application in Ship Boiler Drum Water Level”, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Vol. 2016, 2016.
13. Z. Tian, J. Yuan, X. Zhang, L. Kong, J. Wang, “Modeling and sliding mode predictive control of the ultra-supercritical boiler-turbine system with uncertainties and input constraints”, ISA Transactions, Vol. 76, pp. 43-56, 2018.
14. S. Afzal, M. Jamil, A. Waris, S. I. Butt, G. Mufti, “Fuzzy Logic Controller for Boiler Temperature Control using LabVIEW and Matlab”, International Journal of Control and Automation Vol. 9, No. 9, pp.89-104, 2016.
2. 15. B. FIRAS, I. ALNAIMI, H. AL-KAYIEM , “ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENT SYSTEM FOR STEAM BOILER DIAGNOSIS BASED ON SUPERHEATER MONITORING, JOURNAL OF APPLIED SCIENCES”, VOL.11, NO.9, PP. 1566-1572, 2011.
16. W.Tan, H.J. Marquez, T. Chen, , “Multivariable robust controller design for a boiler system”, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 10 , Issue. 5 , pp. 735 – 742, 2002.
17. O. H. Adigun, “Decentralized Fuzzy-PID Based Control Model for a Multivariable Liquid Level System”, Journal of Advances in Computer Engineering and Technology, Vol.4, Issue.4, pp.247-254, 2018.
18. T. Nguyen, L. Vu, M. Lee, “Independent design of multi-loop PI/PID controllers for interacting multivariable processes”, Journal of Process Control, Vol.20, Issue.8, pp.922-933, 2010.
19. C.L. Lai, P. L. Hsu, “Design the Remote Control System With the Time-Delay Estimator and the Adaptive Smith Predictor”, IEEE Transaction On Industrial, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp.73-80, 2010.