Optimal Protection Coordination of Directional Overcurrent Relays using Shuffled Frog Leaping in Smart Grids
Objectives: The ability of the frog algorithm to optimize overcurrent relays. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Adjusting the over-current relay is different in the multi-grid arrangement. If directional overcurrent relays are set for a micro-grid arrangement, no longer is this relay setting suitable for other microgrid arrangements By limiting current changes by FCL in different makeup and considering a setting for all the relays, micro-grid protection coordination can be maintained in all make-ups. Findings: The ability of the frog algorithm to optimize overcurrent relays is evaluated. It is also compared to its ability to solve the optimization problem by genetic algorithm. The objective function of this problem is to optimize the total operating time of all relays in all arrangement. Also, the main concern is the protection distance between the primary relay and the backup relay. The problem of over-current relay coordination tested by the method of shuffled frog leaping algorithm (SFLA) on a 9-BUS system in two different scenarios and compared with the results of the work in the method of genetic algorithm. In this paper, the results show that the convergence rate in SFLA is greater than GA, and the convergence time in SFLA is less than GA. Application/Improvements: The proposed method can also be adapted to optimize the total operating time in the distribution section of the IEEE standard 30-bus system in the future.
2. Chowdhury, A. and D. Koval, Power distribution system reliability: practical methods and applications. Vol. 48. 2011: John Wiley & Sons.
3. Zeineldin, H.H., et al., Optimal protection coordination for meshed distribution systems with DG using dual setting directional over-current relays. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 2014. 6(1): p. 115-123.
4. Choudhary, N.K., S.R. Mohanty, and R.K. Singh, Coordination of Overcurrent Relay in Distributed System for Different Network Configuration. Journal of Power and Energy Engineering, 2015. 3(10): p. 1.
5. Gopalan, S.A., V. Sreeram, and H.H. Iu, A review of coordination strategies and protection schemes for microgrids. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 2014. 32: p. 222-228.
6. Hooshyar, A. and R. Iravani, Microgrid protection. Proceedings of the IEEE, 2017. 105(7): p. 1332-1353.
7. Viral, R. and D. Khatod, Optimal planning of distributed generation systems in distribution system: A review. Renewable and sustainable energy Reviews, 2012. 16(7): p. 5146-5165.
8. Javadian, S., et al., Adaptive centralized protection scheme for distribution systems with DG using risk analysis for protective devices placement. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, 2013. 44(1): p. 337-345.
9. Eusuff, M., K. Lansey, and F. Pasha, Shuffled frog-leaping algorithm: a memetic meta-heuristic for discrete optimization. Engineering optimization, 2006. 38(2): p. 129-154.
10. Elbeltagi, E., T. Hegazy, and D. Grierson, A modified shuffled frog-leaping optimization algorithm: applications to project management. Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 2007. 3(1): p. 53-60.
11. Kim, C.-H., et al., Gray wolf optimizer for the optimal coordination of directional overcurrent relay. Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, 2018. 13(3): p. 1043-1051.
12. Choudhary, N.K., S.R. Mohanty, and R.K. Singh. Protection coordination of over current relays in distribution system with DG and superconducting fault current limiter. in 2014 Eighteenth National Power Systems Conference (NPSC). 2014. IEEE.
13. Alam, M.N., Adaptive protection coordination scheme using numerical directional overcurrent relays. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 2018. 15(1): p. 64-73.
14. Sharaf, H.M., H.H. Zeineldin, and E. El-Saadany, Protection coordination for microgrids with grid-connected and islanded capabilities using communication assisted dual setting directional overcurrent relays. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 2016. 9(1): p. 143-151.
15. Saha, D., et al. Optimal coordination of DOCR in interconnected power systems. in 2016 2nd International Conference on Control, Instrumentation, Energy & Communication (CIEC). 2016. IEEE.
16. Najy, W.K., H.H. Zeineldin, and W.L. Woon, Optimal protection coordination for microgrids with grid-connected and islanded capability. IEEE Transactions on industrial electronics, 2012. 60(4): p. 1668-1677.